VPI Aries combo

Post your items for sale before listing on Ebay or Audiogon.

VPI Aries combo

Postby Crazy Bill » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Hello all,

I'll leave this here for three days before I post it on Ebay and Audiogon.

I have two high end turntables, and I obviously only need one. The Mitch Cotter/FR66s combo won the shoot-out ( which surprised the hell out of me since I didn't think direct drive had a chance against good belt drive ), so the VPI combo goes up for sale. I just can't leave this sitting on a shelf not being used ( what a shame that would be ), so hopefully it will find a home because it is a very good analog front end.

Here's the deal.

I purchased this in the fall of 2000 from Music Direct. It consists of the Aries MkI, the JMW10 Arm, an acrylic two-piece dust cover, and the SDS motor controller. This is a VERY HIGH end analog front end, and is capable of incredible performance with the right cartridge( I used a Grado Statement with excellent results ). I still have the manuals, but I cannot locate the jig VPI uses to set up the cartridge and locate the arm ( it's available from VPI if you have to have it, but I used the Geodisc to very good effect). VPI uses a different geometry which I don't trust anyway, and the Geodisc is incredibly simple to use ( not included, get your own ). B_~!@

I'll be listing this for $ 2500.00 on those sites, shipping to be covered by the buyer ( I can give you a very accurate quote if you need it ). I paid $ 2400 for the table, $ 1400 for the arm, $ 1000 for the SDS and another $ 240.00 for the dust cover for a total of $ 5040.00 for the lot, so I think this is a very good and fair price ( I, and others, believe this table is superior to the new Aries, as the new tables sport an acrylic platter, which a lot of folks don't like compared to this platter which is half acrylic/half steel) ( I've heard both and I agree, which is why I never upgraded ). (To my ears, the newer all acrlic platter has a hardness in the upper midrange). It's been very well cared for, and is in near mint condition both aesthetically and functionally. I'll forward pics to anyone interested.

Just to add a bit for Hawthorne and Decware forum users only, I'll take $ 150 off the top, so it comes to $ 2350.00 plus shipping for you guys only.In addition, I'll throw in a pr of 6n1p-ev, cryoed pr 6p15-ev, and a NOS Svetlana 5U4g black plate rectifiers ( circa 1960's ), which I consider to be an incredible tube set for the Decware stuff ( not so good for the Carina, oh well B_GAh! )

E-mail or PM if interested.

Cheers, Crazy Bill B_~!@

P.S. I'll take another $ 25.00 off if you pick it up.
Last edited by Crazy Bill on Wed May 06, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Bill
Respected Member
Respected Member

Re: VPI Aries combo

Postby Crazy Bill » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:57 pm

Just realized I didn't include an estimation of " hours of use " for this baby.
I used this set-up ON AVERAGE no more than two hours per week, so even though its going to be nine years young, there is less than 1000 hours on this rig ( Unfortunately, I don't get a lot of time to listen ). Since it is built like a tank, it's still a baby, STS.

Again, e-mail with any questions,

Cheers, Crazy Bill B_~!@
Crazy Bill
Respected Member
Respected Member

Re: VPI Aries combo

Postby Crazy Bill » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:58 pm

Hello all,

I'm bumping this as I finally have it one E-bay at a very low starting price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 360wt_1139

If anyone on this forum is interested, shoot me an e-mail and maybe we can work it out w/o Ebay.

Cheers, Crazy Bill
Crazy Bill
Respected Member
Respected Member

Return to Buy, Sell and Trade